MARKETING OF SAUSAGE PRODUCTS AND MEAT DELICACIES
FEATURES OF THE INDUSTRY
The market for sausages and meat delicacies holds a significant and arguably one of the most important places in eating habbits of any country. The assortment and choice are truly impressive. However, at the same time, competition in the market is becoming increasingly difficult. On one hand, the physical shelf space in large supermarkets has been firmly occupied by the products of large meat-processing plants, and on the other hand, there is a constant struggle among medium and small producers for smaller sales channels such as trading through small shops, pavilions, kiosks, markets, fairs, etc. How can one compete under such conditions?
First and foremost, it is necessary to understand that the market for sausage products and meat delicacies has its peculiarities, which are determined by the specifics of this industry. Here are some of the main aspects that characterize this market:
- Competition. The market for sausage products is quite competitive, as there is a large number of manufacturers offering a variety of types of sausages and meat products. Competition forces manufacturers to constantly improve the quality of their products and attract new customers.
- Consumer Fastidiousness. Modern consumers are becoming increasingly fastidious regarding the quality, taste, safety, and composition of sausage products. They are more interested in natural ingredients, the absence of harmful additives, and genetically modified products.
- Regulation and Standardization. In every country there are a number of regulatory requirements for sanitary and hygienic norms, the quality of raw materials, labeling, and other aspects of the production of sausage and meat products. Producers must comply with these rules to ensure production safety and product quality.
- Product Diversity. The market for sausage products offers a wide selection of products that differ in the type of meat (pork, beef, poultry, etc.), method of processing (boiled, smoked, dried, etc.), spices, recipes, and flavor. This allows meeting various consumer taste preferences.
- Raw Material Dependence. Sausage products require high-quality meat raw materials. Manufacturers often collaborate with farmers or have their own farms to obtain quality meat. Changes in raw material prices can affect the cost of sausage products.
- Seasonality. Some types of sausage products may have a seasonal character, depending on traditions and consumer habits. For example, sausages for grilling are often bought during the warmer months.
- Innovations and Healthy Eating. In recent years, there has been a growing demand for innovative sausage products with reduced fat content, artificial additives, and allergens. Many manufacturers are actively working on developing new products that will meet the needs of healthy eating.
These market features require attention from manufacturers to meet consumer needs and demands, as well as to maintain competitiveness in the industry.
However, even in such a complex and competitive market, manufacturers of sausages and sausage products pay insufficient attention to the marketing promotion of their own products. If you look closely at the marketing complexes of most manufacturers, you can only see a standard set of marketing tools. Essentially, it all comes down to marketing by the principle of "do as everyone else does" - more or less the same packaging of products, similar sales points with posters of sausages and hot dogs on the windows, and other not particularly creative elements, the use of which does not reflect a marketing strategy, marketing plan, or thoughtful positioning of sausage production. SOME GENERAL STRATEGIES AND APPROACHES
At the same time, a wide range of marketing strategies and approaches can be applied to the market for sausage products and meat delicacies, which can fundamentally change the perception of the brand and products by consumers and take the company's sales to a significantly higher level. Here are some of them:
- Branding and Storytelling. This involves building a strong brand that appeals to consumers, creating a compelling brand story that conveys heritage, traditions, and values behind the products with the aim of creating an emotional connection with clients and building a loyal customer base.
- Differentiation Strategy and Assortment Expansion. Companies can create unique characteristics of their products that will distinguish them in the market. This can be a special taste, the use of high-quality ingredients, unique recipes, or innovative production methods. Differentiation helps to attract consumer attention and create higher product value.
- Price Competition Strategy. Competition in the market for sausage products can be quite tough. Companies may choose a price competition strategy, offering their products at a more attractive price compared to competitors. This can attract more consumers who are looking for more affordable options. Such a strategy is not always the best choice, but under certain conditions, for example, in the presence of its own farm and in combination with other strategies, it can be an effective factor for quickly capturing market share with the possibility of subsequent price increases.
- Healthy Lifestyle Marketing Strategy. In light of growing awareness of a healthy lifestyle and healthy eating, companies can focus on the relevant characteristics of their products. They can highlight the use of natural ingredients, low content of harmful additives, or compliance with low-fat or low-salt diets. This strategy can attract consumers who pay attention to health in their food preferences.
- Local Marketing Strategy. Some consumers actively seek products made at local enterprises or from local ingredients. Companies can use this strategy by emphasizing their local origin, interaction with local suppliers, and support for the local economy. Moreover, manufacturers can either use the existing image of the locality to promote the product or even create such an image of the locality and associate it with their own production.
- Innovation Marketing Strategy. Innovations in production, recipes, and packaging can create a significant advantage in the market. Companies can invest in research and development to release new types of sausage products, experiment with flavors, and create attractive packaging that catches the attention of consumers.
- Aggressive Communication Marketing Strategy. Creating a strong brand can significantly distinguish a company from competitors and increase the recognition of its products. Companies can invest in developing an attractive logo, packaging, and brand identity that will help build trust and loyalty among consumers. The strategy involves active promotion of products through all possible communication channels and is primarily aimed at reaching the maximum number of consumers.
- Environmental Responsibility Strategy. Implementing environmentally responsible practices can be an important factor for many consumers. Companies can provide information about the use of environmentally sustainable materials in packaging, reducing production emissions, and promoting sustainable development.
- Value-Based Marketing Strategy. Companies can direct their marketing strategy towards certain values or social issues that matter to their target audience. For example, a company can emphasize its support for local farmers or charity.
It is necessary to note that within the scope of one article, we cannot show all the pitfalls or demonstrate all the marketing methodologies and tools specific to the mentioned industry. These are just a few examples of quite general marketing approaches that can be applied to companies that produce sausage products and meat delicacies. From a practical point of view, everything is much more complex - the choice of a specific marketing strategy and tools depends on the target audience, competitive environment, and unique advantages of the production and enterprise, etc. At the same time, it is desirable to understand that marketing of sausage and meat products may face a number of specific problems that are unique to each individual case and require an individual approach to their solution.
Achieving the commercial objectives of a company through effective marketing requires a deep understanding of the market situation, consumer needs, the ability to analyze and explore alternatives, and a creative approach to problem-solving. Our company has extensive experience in defining optimal marketing strategies for our clients' businesses, creating a strong brand and market positioning, as well as developing a marketing mix and implementing the chosen strategy. You can familiarize yourself with the services and solutions our company offers on the "Services
" and "Solutions
" pages, respectively.